Xylem Reports Third Quarter Earnings Growth and Margin Expansion
Third quarter revenue was $1.3 billion, up 3 percent organically led by healthy growth in the utilities end-market moderated by slower-than-expected growth in industrial and commercial markets. Reported operating margin in the quarter was 0.8 percent and adjusted operating margin was 15.1 percent, up 50 basis points compared to the prior year.
“Solid demand and disciplined execution in our largest markets drove margin expansion and delivery on our earnings commitments," said Patrick Decker, president and CEO of Xylem. "Steady revenue growth in our utilities business has been partially offset, however, by notable weakening in industrial and commercial end-markets.”
“The near-term softness in those market environments has caused us to lower our organic revenue and earnings guidance," Decker continued. "Nevertheless, we expect to exit the year with sizable backlogs as our core utilities business remains healthy and the digital transformation of the water sector continues to gather pace. This gives us confidence in our ability to continue to outperform the market in 2020, and deliver mid-single-digit growth over the long term."
Full-year 2019 Outlook
Xylem is updating its forecasted full-year 2019 revenue outlook to be in the range of $5.24 to $5.27 billion. On an organic basis, Xylem’s revenue growth is adjusted to a range of 3 to 4 percent (approximately 1 percent on a reported basis) from previous guidance of 5 to 6 percent.
Xylem is revising its full-year 2019 adjusted operating margin outlook from 14.5 to 14.9 percent to 13.8 to 14.0 percent. The full-year adjusted earnings per share is now expected to be $3.01 to $3.03, lowered from previous guidance of $3.12 to $3.22, but reflecting an increase of approximately 5 percent versus prior year — the equivalent of 7 to 8 percent excluding foreign exchange effects. The Company’s adjusted earnings outlook excludes projected restructuring and realignment and goodwill impairment costs. Excluding revenue, Xylem provides guidance only on a non-GAAP basis due to the inherent difficulty in forecasting certain amounts that would be included in GAAP earnings, such as discrete tax items, without unreasonable effort.
Third Quarter Segment Results
Xylem’s Water Infrastructure segment consists of its portfolio of businesses primarily serving wastewater operations for utility and industrial customers through transport, dewatering and treatment applications.
- Third quarter 2019 revenue was $531 million, up 1 percent organically compared with third quarter 2018. Healthy growth in the utilities market, particularly in the U.S., more than offset declines in our short-cycle industrial business.
- Third quarter reported operating income for the segment was $97 million and adjusted operating income, which excludes $7 million of restructuring and realignment costs, was $104 million. The segment’s reported operating margin was 18.3 percent and adjusted operating margin was 19.6 percent, up 40 basis points versus the prior year due to higher net productivity and price realization, partially offset by the impact of lower volumes and mix.
Xylem’s Applied Water segment consists of its portfolio of businesses primarily serving the end users of water through industrial water management, commercial building services and residential applications.
- Third quarter 2019 Applied Water revenue was $376 million, a 1 percent increase organically year-over-year. Versus strong prior year comparisons, both industrial and commercial end-markets were slower than expected, influenced by U.S. project delays.
- Third quarter reported operating income for the segment was $61 million and adjusted operating income, which excludes $3 million of restructuring and realignment costs, was $64 million. The segment’s reported operating margin was 16.2 percent and adjusted operating margin was 17.0 percent, an 90 basis point increase over prior year period due to higher price realization and productivity more than off-setting inflation.
Measurement & Control Solutions
Xylem’s Measurement & Control Solutions segment consists of its portfolio of businesses primarily serving the clean water and energy operations for utility and industrial customers through smart metering, network technologies, advanced infrastructure analytics and analytic instrumentation applications.
- Third quarter 2019 Measurement & Control Solutions revenue was $389 million, up 8 percent organically versus the prior year. Revenue growth was driven by execution in the metrology water business.
- Third quarter reported operating income for the segment was a loss of $136 million, and adjusted operating income, which excludes $20 million of restructuring and realignment costs and a $155 million impairment charge, was $39 million. The segment’s reported operating margin was -35 percent. Adjusted operating margin was 10 percent, up 50 basis points versus the prior year, driven by productivity and volume gains, as well as increased price realization, which was partially offset by higher growth investments.
Source: Xylem Inc.