Argal presents its new pneumatic double diaphragm pumps Mercury made of fiberglass (FRP) of the size of 3 "and 4" capable to delivery performance of 1100 and 1300 l/min respectively.
With the design experience of the pneumatic pumps Astra from size ¼" to 2" and the know how acquired manufacturing the Fiberglass centrifugal pumps Saturn under his belt, Argal could design and propose first to market these new air pumps called Mercury made of thermoset resins.
The main functional characteristics and peculiarities of the air pumps and its main applications are widespread and generally known. So far the market lacked a solid and effective proposal for pneumatic pumps of large sizes made of non-metallic materials. Some competitors offer 3” pumps made of plastic with the physical-and mechanical limits intrinsic to the nature of the thermoplastic resins and to overcome these limitations resort to metal alloys with in turn have limits themselves (one overall the high cost).
The composites made Argal Pumps, not suffering the limits mentioned above, are proposed as the solution of synthesis and/or alternative.
Maximum chemical and mechanical resistance are obtained deploying composite materials made of vinyl ester resins reinforced with long strand only glass fibers molded with RTM technique in its factory located in Brescia.
Pumps and parts wet by the liquid pumped in particular have important prerogatives:
As far as the internal components of the pump bodies concerns based on liquid pumped:
- high chemical resistance (the highest among resins, polyester);
- mechanical resistance comparable to some metal alloys;
- dimensional stability characteristic of the thermosetting resins which during catalysis transform irreversibly becoming insoluble and infusible;
- abrasion resistance and resistance to aging;
- resistance to low and high temperatures (from -30°C to + 110°C);
- lightness typical of composites which, because of differentiated modulus of elasticity for the various parts of the pump and with the minimum thickness of 20 mm exceed the hydrostatic tests from 20 to 50 bar;
- resistance to flame propagation in case of fire.
The pneumatic system:
- membranes and balls are offered with nitrile rubbers, ethylene-propylene or fluorinated;
- Balls seats are anti abrasion thermoplastic polymers such as, the Pe high molecular weight, or massive polyurethane.
Such parts are mostly manufactured of technical polymers, including the pneumatic distributor, which eliminates the need for lubrication of the moving parts making general maintenance operations rare and exceptional.
- located in the central body made entirely of stainless steel AISI 316L obtained by precision casting, hosts all the parts to actuate the diaphragms and control air distribution.
Picture: Mercury Pump (Image: Argal)